Saturday, June 20, 2009

Moving from the Mesozoic...

I think some thought that the name of this blog is solely connected to my arrival to Dinosaur National Monument, and to a certain extent, that's true. But traveling with dinosaurs is more a reference to my travels through life and this universe with all sorts of antiquated ideas and social mores, and my attempts to break through them and grow and rise above them.
To wit: my slamming the eject button on Dinosaur NM and moving to Florissant Fossil Beds NM. Yes, I lost lots in the process, but what I have gained is immeasurable. Funny how most people look at me like i'm nuts when I explain the change I made. My explanation that sometimes one must take a small step back to take a giant step forward falls on deaf ears. But there are a few people at Florissant who have done the same thing in their careers, and give me a wry smile that tells me that they too know what it's like to make a giant leap of faith - that one must have a certain degree of strength and lots of conviction and faith in themselves and the future to do so. And, that it is usually for the best - that to grow in great leaps, one sometimes must take risks in great leaps.
So what benefits have I reaped so far? What things have I received now that I did not receive or experience at Dinosaur? A somewhat complete list, in no particular order...
- quality career training
- supervisors and co-workers genuinely concerned with my career growth, as well as the overall success of the park
- quality baked goods and donuts and restaurants (the Golden Corral is not the local haute cuisine)
- a burgeoning connection with a woman who is smart, funny, energetic, positive, attractive, and unselfish - not to mention, not mormon
- dancing, both contra and at the local jam band's performances
- friendly neighbors
- open and friendly interns and co-workers with whom spontaneous parties and games are a regular and fun occurrence
- below-market rental rates in an area where market rates are actually reasonable
- quality wi-fi access

And I would be remiss without mentioning that I have an extra bed* in my lodging, should anyone want to visit this amazing corner of the world.

*as it has unremovable headboard and footboard, occupants over six feet tall my experience some discomfort

No comments: