Sunday, October 18, 2009

It's been awhile...

Umm...yeah...so I see that my last post was about three and a half months ago.

That's what happens when one moves away from Vernal, Utah and into a place with good people and fun activities. Among the things I did this summer:
- Pet a brown buffalo (he really liked being scratched where his horns come out of his head)
- Visited the American Numismatic Museum
- Got in some stiltwalking



- Raided Ted Nugent's wardrobe (see above video)
- Had a roomfull of college girls think I'm about 6 years younger than I really am
- Played in a semi-regular game night with the aforementioned college girls

ok, so one of the interns was a guy...but he was annoying anyway...
- Received a list of good restaurants when I asked, "Where's a good place to eat around here?' - as opposed to my last hometown, which elicited, "You know, I think Golden Corral is the best restaurant in town."
- Bought and consumed good wine, both within the state
- Worked with a hard-working, smart, competent, respectful, fun group of co-workers (example: when a vise was found in one of the pit toilets, it was cleaned & disinfected and mounted as a gift to an outgoing maintenance supervisor, with the tag "get a grip and don't take the shit too seriously')
- And last, but certainly not least...shock! I had significant other...

Michelle & I during Homestead Days at Florissant


Michelle & I at Arches NP

Alas, Michelle had to return to school, and I learned i'm on my way to Joshua Tree for the winter. We still stay in contact, though.

Most of the other seasonals have left Florissant, too. THe season is definitely winding down, though we've had a stretch of sunny wether with temps in the mid 50s to high 60s. That mid September snowstorm is a thing of the past - until the next snowstorm.

Next Saturday is my last day at Florissant. I'm going to try to see Cousin Mary in Boulder, then take my time getting out to Joshua Tree. If anyone has any suggestions about sights to see in New Mexico, i'm all ears...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad to hear everything is going so well for ya Matt! Love the Ted Nugget comment ; P
As for places in NM, you gotta stop in Santa Fe, if not for the weirdness of it all... some like it, some don't, but it is certainly a piece out of Modern Americana . Also, visit the Museum of the Horse in Ruidoso, NM. It is beautiful... even if you aren't a horse person.
Also, be warned... people in NM drive about 25 miles under the speed limit.