Sunday, January 20, 2008

Cue U2…

Today was definitely a beautiful day. Yes, I had to rouse myself from bed at the ungodly hour of 5a (to make the three hour drive to Salt Lake City for a 10:45a flight)…but the roads were clear, I beat the predicted snowstorm, I could get AM-ESPN-breakdown-the-day’s-AFC/NFC-Championship-games radio from far-off lands…and make it in plenty of time to run an errand in SLC and get to the airport. The shuttle from the Economy lot *did* run every 5 minutes, so time spent exposed to ~freezing temperatures was minimal (though that’s ~20 degrees warmer than what I’ve been experiencing in Vernal). I felt wonderful waves of hope and happiness – questioning them nonetheless, but reveling in the feeling.
I got to play a game in my head that anyone who’s seen Wonder Boys knows: see a snapshot of a person, and make up a situation for them – name, why they’re flying, etc.. Where they’re going is pretty much given, so it’s kind of a clue. Of particular note: Martha, going to Columbus, OH to break to her parents she’s dating another woman; Bob, who graduated from Ole Miss and is on a fishing trip with his buddies (one of which tried to get into the Air Force and is now living vicariously through his son) debating between McCain and Romney for president; the guy who ended up sitting behind me on the airplane who everyone thinks is a ghetto hood but who has extremely deep hopes and fears about making an honest difference in the worst parts of Oakland…
Dad picks me up from the airport – something comfortably familiar about having him pick me up from the airport…so many times I’ve done it for him (one time in particular sticks out: summer, very warm afternoon, he’s coming from South America via Miami, has been on a plane for more hours than I’ve been alive, got bumped to 1st Class and hence, is feeling no pain, coming across the Dumbarton Bridge I make the comment that the south bay aroma is oddly pleasant…) – I can talk my head off, and just at the right time turn the first few plays of the NE-SD game on the radio, and nothing is strange or weird or manic about it.
And there was some decent football (see below)…

No comments: