I find myself consuming a fair bit of alcohol these past several days, between get-togethers with friends, a ‘date’ with a woman I met, ZAP, working at the winery, etc.. A few highlights…
Silverado Pale Ale - light…a little too light…but a good, basic pale ale
Jagermeister - my first time trying this concoction. Verdict? Yucko. Black licorice and anise - two of my least favorite flavors. And a single shot leaves a very interesting buzz on an empty stomach.
Rosenblum Vintners Cuvee Blanc - What, like I would get within 100 miles of dad’s and not drink Rosenblum? This is the white wine version of a hodgepodge. Very crisp, a little fruit…not bad.
Rosenblum Carla’s Vineyard - Deep fruit - blackberry, cherry, etc. - and just a hint of burnt something. One of those wines that reminds me why I like wine.
ZAP - Zinfandel Advocates and Producers - Between the Thursday and Saturday events, I tried over 50 wines. Some that might find their way to a wine rack near you…
Montevina Fiddletown Zinfandel - A classic Fiddletown/Amador County Zin - deep, rich, very earthy. And at $9 per bottle suggested retail, one can’t go wrong.
Beringer 2001 Port of Cabernet Sauvignon - The 2000 was just a terrific, somewhat uncomplex port. I first tried the 2001 back in September and was rather disappointed - it had a slight alcohol sharpness on the finish that really masked many flavors. But oh what a difference six months or so has made. That sharpness is gone, and the flavors are really coming out. Two problems: management realized what they had on their hands and raised the price from $20 to $25 per bottle (still a bargain for 740mL of dessert wine) and port is not the kind of thing one can sip throughout the day at work and expect to be employed at the end of the day.
Rombauer 2005 Napa Valley Chardonnay - You wine-o’s out there know it’s always white wines before red - except this one. They serve it in the middle of the reds in the tasting order - and it works. Malolactic fermentation, a fair bit of oak aging…a big damn chard.
Beringer 2002 Steinhauer Cabernet Franc - Cab Franc was traditionally a blending grape in Bordeaux wines (cue Miles from Sideways: “I have come to expect very little from Cab Francs…”), but I’m starting to really like ‘em - at least from this vineyard. It’s not too far from where I was living in Angwin, about 1800ft elevation (which is about 1400ft above the Napa Valley floor - way up above the fog). I have some 1998 Steinhauer Cab Franc, and they’re both ripe, delicious, lush, juicy…and perhaps most important, chocolaty. Not enough to overpower, but enough to make you think about it on the finish. Kinda like a thick porter or stout beer.
Beringer 2006 Sbragia Limited Release Chardonnay - The two Beringer reserve chards always remind me of what a woman told me upon her first sip when I poured some once: “I love over-oaked chardonnay.” I can’t say I necessarily agree, but much oak can be wonderful. Makes me pine for crab season: this wine with fresh crab is one of the great epicurean, gluttonous delights.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment