Two days of wine tasting and months of terminal singlehood converged recently. The two are so similar it’s disgusting.
I have tastes different from others in both. Those tastes are not shared by the majority of the population. Very few of either are made that match my tastes. When I do find one that tickles my fancy, though, I get my hopes up. A very small number (no need to remove shoes to count) met expectations: an orgasmitastic experience to be savored, sensory delights that linger. But as with so much good, it has always come to an end - the bottom of the bottle.
Wine and people seem to have dominant flavors. Too often one or two aspects overpower everything else - finesse and subtlety are lost. Sometimes that’s because people are just in too much of a rush, too big a hurry: they don’t take the time and focus to savor and notice and appreciate the subtleties for what they are. Sometimes people don’t care: they just want a good buzz. Some people search out those dominant flavors and don’t care about the rest.
Not me.
I’ll talk wine here, and let you decode it into potential mates/partners…
I don’t have a palate that can get every flavor in there. I can appreciate wine more than most, but a ‘64 Petrus would probably be wasted on me. But this over-oaked, over-spiced cabernet and chardonnay? It sells to the masses, but except on rare occasions and/or with specific food pairings, it just doesn’t make my taste buds do the wave. And so I search - researching, discussing, tasting, trying different varietals, regions, winemakers, etc.. I even try some of those wines that I originally thought to be not so hot - maybe I was in a bad mood, maybe my palate was off, maybe I just let perfection slide by. And yet, my original findings just get confirmed. It can be worst when I follow one of those uncertainties (self-doubts?).
And every year things change. Weather. Soil. Moods. Interest rates. Hair styles. Another year older, that much more mature. Things change, and things must change accordingly. But wait - I was just learning how to work with what I had last year, and now it’s different?
And thus, the search continues. It’s not as gloomy as it may seem in the preceding. The workout is good, the buzz is good, and my number of corked bottles is below the industry average.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment