As stated below - blessed be the day when my two favorite teams play in the Super Bowl. I think, and I want, the Pats to win. I ordinarily don’t like seeing dominance like this (Tiger Woods can get out of golf any day now…and grow a conscience while he’s at it) but to see a NFL team go 19-0 in this pro football climate would be amazing. Irritating the people who want to see the Pats lose just because they’re focused and don’t make that one mistake others always seem to make and they’re a dynasty wouldn’t hurt. I also want someone - anyone - to be able to shove it back in the face of that arrogant selfish idiot Mercury Morris.
I think…
- the two week layoff will be bad for the Giants. Eli will handle it, as will a few of the vets, but overall it will take them out of the rhythm they developed, which was instrumental in their playoff advancement
- the two week layoff will be good for the Pats. The biggest enemy of this team right now is their age. They’ve been in enough playoff games, and have played enough games together, that losing rhythm or focus isn’t an issue. But getting an extra week of rest is huge. Right, Jacksonville?
- Brady’s ankle won’t be a major hindrance. It may affect him a very small bit here or there, but I think between having played one game on it, being the last game, and having the rest, he’ll be fine. Remember we’re not talking about Randal Cunningham here - Brady was never a scrambler. He just needs enough to make the shuffle/slide step.
Strategically…
- The Giants may well be able to place the blame for the loss (should it happen) on the shoulders of one Kevin Gilbride. Yes Charger fans, your favorite coach! The guy has first-quarter issues. Brandon Jacobs may be a good running back, but they do waaay too much of the Conservative Coaching Crap: run on 1st down to gain 1 or 2 yards, repeat on 2nd down, hope your QB bails you out on 3rd and long. By the time he changes the game plan, and at least gets Bradshaw involved, they may be eating Patriot dust.
- I envision the Patriots alternating between 4 and 5 receiver sets and two TE- two back sets. The multiple wideout sets will pressure the Giants weak spot: their banged-up secondary. The heavy package is a wrinkle the Giants didn’t see in the week 17 match-up because of no Stephen Neal and no Kyle Brady. I think they can do some of the same thing to the Giants pass rushers that they did to the Chargers in that last drive. And I can see some no-huddle to trap the Giants defense on the field: get set for one P offense, only to have the other rolled out.
I will absolutely entertain the notion of the Giants winning. Eli Manning as MVP, that pass rush killing Brady all day (Brady injured in the 1st quarter - Matt Cassel leads the Patriots to the win would be a killer storyline, though), turnovers in the air, those running backs leaving cleat marks on Harrison and Seau and Bruschi…I just really don’t think it will happen.
I’ll also take the over on the point total (but not by much), the over on the time on the national anthem (can we make a constitutional amendment against that damn reverb style that seems to popular these days “waaaAAAaaaAAAaaaaAAAAve….”), orange for the color of Gatorade dumped on the coach, Wes Welker to score the first points (though Moss or Burress is tempting - think of how many Super Bowls started the scoring with a big play)…
Pats 34, Giants 20
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment